Since the game of blackjack is incredibly popular, numerous variations have been created with special rules that could be exclusive to that casino. What are these rules and how can knowing them help you learn the ropes to this game?
It is for this very reason that today we will be going into the most common rules found in online casinos and some of the variations of the game of blackjack. The most popular version of this game is European Blackjack (also known as Classic Blackjack).
One of the most important rules of the game of blackjack is knowing how it is played. The main aim of this game is to create a hand whose total value comes as close as possible to 21, but without going over. Additionally, you should also have a better hand value than the dealer’s.
Suit cards such as Jack, Queen and King are all valued at 10 points each, while Ace counts as either 1 or 11, depending on the other card value. If you have a hand exceeding 21, you instantly bust (lose), even if the dealer has a hand of lesser value.
Similarly, if the dealer exceeds 21, the player automatically wins. If both the dealer and the player get the same hand value, it is considered a tie. Bets are returned.
You also have the option to play along with other players at the same time against the dealer. Each player makes his/her decision consecutively. Players are also allowed to play multiple hands as well.
When it comes to the dealer, there are some rules in place as well. Usually, the dealer hits up to 16 and sticks on 17. Additionally, the dealer is unable to split, double down or make any side bets, that would otherwise be available to the player.
- Hit: Request for an extra card. You can ask for more hits until you decide to stop or bust.
- Stand: No further action required.
- Double Down: Double the amount of your bet + get an additional card + stand
- Split: When you have two cards of the same value, you can split the cards into two separate hands with separate bets.
- Surrender:Giving up half the bet, if you are highly likely to lose the hand.
- Insurance:A side bet that is available when a dealer’s face up card is an Ace. The bet is worth half the value of your original bet and is placed if you think there is a chance the dealer has a blackjack.
- The dealer wins if you bust or surrender
- The dealer wins if his total hand value is closest to 21 than the player’s
- The dealer hits if he has a total of 16 or less
- The dealer stands if he has a total card value of 18 or more
- The dealer stands on a hard 17
- The dealer hits on a soft 17
When you get two cards of the same value, you are provided with the option to split your hand into two cards, essentially having two ongoing bets. When you click on the ‘yes’ option, you automatically split the cards.
When this happens, an additional card is added to each hand. You will then proceed to play each hand separately.
You only have the option to split when you have enough money to place an additional bet on your second hand.
Insurance is found in most blackjack games. This side bet is only offered when the dealer’s face up card is an Ace. A player would thus have the option to take out insurance, by placing half the original bet. This insurance covers the player in the case that the dealer has a Blackjack.
If the dealer does indeed have a blackjack, you will be paid back 2:1, breaking even for the hand.
If, on the other hand, the dealer doesn’t have a blackjack, you lose the money placed on the insurance and the hand continues as normal.
Another side bet available to blackjack players is the double down option. It is only available when the original hand dealt totals to 9, 10 or 11.
When this happens, the player has the option to place a bet that is equal to the original bet. The dealer then proceeds to provide him with an extra card. The player won’t have the option to hit again, so once the player receives the additional card, the player stands.
Sign up for a top online casino bonus offer
Check out the below offers or else, click on the below button to see the full list of the best online casino bonus offers.