Regarded to many as one of the most popular card games on the planet, poker is a multiplayer game that involves risk and judgement and is best played at PokerStars. Giving players the option to play with Real Money or Play Money, the extremely popular poker site caters for all levels of player.
LEARN THE BASICS AT POKERSTARS’ ONLINE SCHOOL
Do you want to start playing poker but don’t know the rules? If that sounds like you, then you need to sign up to PokerStars’ online poker school. The free and easy-to-use service will teach you everything you need to know to get playing. Covering all the basics, the online school will teach you terminology, winning hands and how to calculate odds.
HOW TO WIN A HAND OF POKER
When playing poker, the aim of the game is to win. To do this, you must either have the best hand, or convince the other players you have the best hand by bluffing. In traditional Hold’em, each player is dealt two cards to start a round. From looking at your cards, it is then up to you – as the player – to decide whether to a) call/check, b) fold or c) raise. Generally speaking, you would usually fold if you had two cards that are of low value or not matching e.g. 2h, 7c.
Once every player has decided on an action, the dealer will reveal three cards known as the ‘flop’. Once revealed, you can then use your original two cards to try and make a winning hand – although please note there is still a further two cards to be laid down by the dealer.
As with before, once every player has decided on an action, the dealer will reveal one more card – this is known as the ‘turn’. Like before, you will have the opportunity to decide whether to call/check, fold or raise depending on what your hand is looking like. After every player has made their move, the dealer will then reveal a fifth and final card known as the ‘river’. This is where the hand will begin to get most interesting as players will try to convince one another that they have a winning hand – this is known as ‘bluffing’.
After every player has made their move the dealer will reveal the winner. There are many winning combinations in poker and different variants carry different weight. Below you will find different winning hands and their rankings:
- Royal Flush: Five cards that carry the same suit and are the highest cards available – Ah, Kh, Qh, Jh, 10h.
- Straight Flush: Five cards that carry the same suit and are in numerical order – 5c, 6c, 7c, 8c, 9c.
- Four of a Kind: Four cards of the same value – 7h, 7c, 7s, 7d, 10h.
- Full House: three cards of the same value combined with two cards of the same value – Kh, Ks, Kd, 4h, 4s.
- Flush: Any five cards that carry the same suit – Qs, 10s, 7s, 5s, 2s.
- Straight: Five cards in numerical order – 2h, 3h, 4h, 5h, 6h.
- Three of a Kind: Three cards of the same value – 7h, 7s, 7d, 5s, 10h
- Two Pair: Two cards of the same value and two cards with another same value. – 6h, 6s, 5h, 5d, 4s
- One Pair: Two cards of the same value – 7h, 7s, 5s, 4d, 2h
- High Card: Any hand that does not have any of the above – Ks, Jh, 9s, 6d, 5c